Friday, October 21, 2011

Apricot Fried Pies




Fried pies is a Southern tradition that is one of my favorite!  That flaky crust - the not too sweet filling - cooked perfectly...so not too greasy is an art.  I've combined recipes/methods from my Grandmother, my Mother and my Mother-in-Law to come up with a good one.  Hope you will try it and enjoy!

Ingredients:
4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup Crisco shortening
1 cup milk (whole or 2%)
14 oz.dried apricots
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
peanut oil for frying

Directions:
Filling:  Cook apricots and sugar in a medium saucepan.  They wil expand when cooked!  Add enough water to cover the fruit and cook over low heat until the fruit is tender and falling apart.  When done, add cinnamon and mash fruit with a fork. Continue to cook until thick and all water is absorbed.
At this point you may chill the fruit and finish the pies another day.  It actually cooks better when the fruit is cool.
Crust:  In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt.  Cut in shortening with a pastry knife until it is crumbly and resembles coarse meal.  Mix in the milk and stir (I use my hands) until dough forms a ball.  Divide dough into two equal parts, then four, then six.....on until you have 16 balls of dough.  Roll each ball into a 6 inch circle...I use a 6 inch saucer to "cut" the circle.  Go ahead and cut all the circles before you start the cooking process. 
Preparing:  Place less than 1/4 cup of filling in the center of each pie.  Fold over and seal edges with a fork that you dip in water.  Only prepare two at a time!  You don't want them  to sit with the filling in them before they are cooked...the pastry will get wet.
Cooking: Using a 9 inch skillet, add 1/2 to 3/4 inch of oil and heat on medium-high.....just until oil is hot, but not smoking!  Place pies - two at a time in the hot oil.  You may need to turn the heat down to medium.  Fry until brown on one side, then flip.   It doesn't take long,   Remove and place on paper towels to absorb the oil.  Stack pies and continue until all is cooked.  I always completely change the oil after cooking 6 pies and wipe out the skillet with paper towels to prevent burned oil.

3 comments:

Martha said...

That picture of the pies frying looks a little odd. That is oil and it is frying...looks like syrup or something...it's just a strange picture!

Judy Conner Thurmond said...

Looks absoutey wonderful. So glad I came across your website (by accident) You are one talented woman. Absolutely loved the burlap runner, trimmed in the cotton lace. Love, love, love it. I wil check this out often to see what other goodies you post. Amber was here this weekend with the twins and she found the Thurmon family post and went through ALL the 11 children. She realy enjoyed catching up on the family. You have done so much with ours and I really appreciate it. I have good intentions, but never seem to get around to doing anything other than taking care of the three here, but love doing it and I know I won't aways have them around. ove you, Judy

Martha said...

Thanks Judy! Send me any other information for the Thurmon website that you know. I'm sure there are mistakes..let me know if you see any. Love you tons!